Mittwoch, August 10, 2005

Tourists

I work a few yards away from the most famous tourist site in Munich. The subway is full of Americans, Japanese, Italian, Arabic, French and Chinese tourists. As I don't usually ride during rush hour (before or after), I see them, consulting their maps, referring to guide books, looking everywhere except where they're going.

I used to try to help tourists with maps. They don't want my help, though! They look at me suspiciously, thinking I want something in return. Only when I'm smoking a cigarette outside the Berlitz school, minding my own business, I get a barrage of questions. Mostly "Where's the Marienplatz?" When I tell them they're standing on it, they tend not to believe me.

They're funny, the tourists. The main attraction on city hall is a playing of the bells in the tower which goes along with some figures that turn. The figures are supposed to represent a meeting of some knights, a beautiful woman, etc. In the summer, this happens at 11:00am, and 12:00 and 05:00pm. Thousands of tourists assemble on the square to watch.

I don't know how many tourists have filmed me or taken pictures of me in the last three years. Either in my way to work, on the way to Subway, McDonald's, or a cafe, or to and from work.
And two weeks ago:
She: "Quick, Hans, take a picture!"
He: "Why? What?"
She: "The figures are turning! Quick! Take a picture!"
Which the husband did.

Tourists!

1 Kommentare:

Am/um 8:30 PM , Blogger ben meinte...

Ah - the road side attraction croud - my favorite.

BTW: Why do you blog in English - don't you primarily know Germans?

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post [Atom]

<< Startseite